Wish I could post pics, but seems like all image hosting sites require money these days. Besides, DatzenMike probably has these images burned into his brain.
I have two FS5W71 5-speed transmissions. One came with my '67 1600 roadster. History on this is unknown. I believe this transmission originally came in a '79 620 diesel pickup because:
- Shorter shifter ears
- Speedo drive retaining screw at 12 o'clock
- Steel forks
- Servo 5th gear
- Main nut is left-hand thread (DQ Vol 11 Issue 2 states nut changed from RH to LH in 4/79).
- Starter housing on left side. AFAIK, only roadsters and diesels had them on the left.
I bought the other 71B at Canby 2009. It came out of an '83 280ZX:
- Tall shifter ears
- Speedo drive retaining screw at 6 o'clock.
The earlier trans is completely dismantled for a rebuild; the later trans mostly apart. Questions:
1. The earlier trans forks are steel (cast?); the latter aluminum.
- Are they interchangeable?
- Any advantage of one over the other?
- Anyone have good part numbers that aren't NLA, or know where to buy new 1-2 and 3-4 forks?
2. The earlier trans has a 23-tooth reverse idler key with a chipped tooth. Found a thread from 2008 in the Nissan Diesels forum that mentions the reverse idler gear came in 21T, 22T, and 23T.
Haven't contacted the various transmission parts sellers (Transmission Exchange, Drivetrain.com, Cobra, etc.) yet. Googling finds 21T and 22T, but no 23T. CarPartsManual Online for the 620 shows one part number (32282-E9000) without tooth count, and it's NLA.
Can you substitute the easily found 21T or 22T for the 23T?